Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Thursday, April 23, 2009

WSPRing along at 27 db below the noise....

WSPR is fun. I haven't crossed any ponds yet, but the real- time displays of the reception reports are very addictive:
http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/spots
Be sure to click on the map display also.

I was intrigued by the Signal to Noise ratio column, and wondered what the reference bandwidth for the noise was. K1JT's pages show the reference bandwidth is 2500 Hz, and that WSPR can decode signals that are as much as 27 db below that noise.

That's great. I guess I don't have to worry about the lower sideband of my 30 mw signal causing anyone any trouble. It will be very far down in the noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column