Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Big Filament -- On the Sun

The WSPR system has become something of a personal solar activity detector for me. I know, there are lots of ways to detect solar activity: there's the internet, of course. WWV is also there. You could even set up a small telescope and (with the appropriate eye-saving screen or projection systems) watch for spots yourself. But I like using my 20 mW DSB WSPR signal. If I get up in the morning and see that my little signal has been received during the night in Norway by LA3JJ (1950 km) I know that something different is going on with Old Sol.

LA3JJ was detecting my signals all night long last night. And other stations in Europe were picking up U.S. and Israeli stations throughout the night. So, what was happening on the sun? It may have had something to do with the filament pictured above. For more info on this kind of solar event, take a look here:
http://www.ips.gov.au/Educational/2/4/1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column