Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Oldest 2-B? (I say it's a 10!)


Harv: Wow, that's a beautiful 2-B OM. I give it a 10. If you compare it to mine, it's a 20! I checked our collection point for 2-B serial numbers and see that we have a couple that may be rivals in the title "Senior 2-B." Thanks for pointing out that they started at #2000.
................................
Hi Bill,

What makes a radio a 10 out of 10?

Good question. A real 10 to me means the radio is flawless, clean, not repainted and the best example possible based upon age and general appearance.

Here is one of my Drake 2B Communication Receivers with the matching Speaker/Q Multiplier.

This one has the S/N 2532 which, places the production of this radio close to early Spring 1961. The radio is not flawless. It has very minor metal edge dings in the paint.

I have the original Owners Manual and lots of special notes. At best my pictured radio above is a 9.5.

In my collection is also; S/N 4226 which was built near the end of 1961. I rate S/N 4226 as a 9.8 radio.

I’m impressed with the AVG recovery, general receiver sensitivity and the combination selectivity afforded by the Q-Multiplier.

I believe the Drake web site is spot on with the dating of the production runs for Drake equipment.

From talking to other Hams, it looks like the 2B started with S/N 2000 on their first full run of production in early April 1961.

It would be interesting to see if others find radios with a serial number less than mine still out there pulling duty.

I’m sure some pilot radios are out there in private collections. Let me know if someone finds an earlier serial number.

Keep up the great work Bill!!!

ENJOY

HARV -=WA3EIB=-

Albuquerque, NM.

-------------------------------------------------------

Our book: "SolderSmoke -- Global Adventures in Wireless Electronics"http://soldersmoke.com/book.htmOur coffee mugs, T-Shirts, bumper stickers: http://www.cafepress.com/SolderSmokeOur Book Store: http://astore.amazon.com/contracross-20

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!!!!
    Love the set-up. Once the coffee is brewed he can keep it hot on top of the receiver ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way back when I was thinking about getting a ham license and ran across a nice 2-B at a garage sale. I really didn't know what it was, but I liked the look of it and, lucky me, it operated very well. I never got the Q-Multiplier (but did get one for a 2-C later). How many times have you hear this one: Sure wish I'd never sold it! HI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That copper-plated chassis is in beautiful condition. Lovely-looking 2B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I sure wish my 2B was that clean. Oh, well. At least I consider myself fortunate to have one. Nothing like that Great Drake Sound!

    73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL
    "Snort Rosin"

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column