Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Long Lost Varactor Receiver Found!

SolderSmoke fans will recall that for a long time I have been looking for the radio magazine article that propelled me into a  receiver construction project that failed and left me tech-traumatized. I tried to build a solid state receiver back in high school.  All I remembered about it was that it was direct conversion and varactor-tuned.  And that I couldn't get it to work. I think the problem was in the oscillator.   

Well, I think I found it.  Chuck Adams and the qrp-tech guys were talking about a receiver project and someone mentioned the old Herring Aid Five, a receiver companion to the famed Tuna Tin Two.  That got me thinking.  The time of publication was exactly right: July 1976.  I had just graduated from high school.  This morning I renewed my ARRL membership and then immediately accessed the QST archives.  Sure enough, the Herring Aid Five is varactor-tuned.  That has to be it. 

So this one is now definitely on my to-build list.  I will finally get this receiver working.  Sometimes projects take a long time...  Thanks again to all those who helped me in this search. 

Our book: "SolderSmoke -- Global Adventures in Wireless Electronics" http://soldersmoke.com/book.htm Our coffee mugs, T-Shirts, bumper stickers: http://www.cafepress.com/SolderSmoke Our Book Store: http://astore.amazon.com/contracross-20

3 comments:

  1. Glad you found your project in the end! I have looked at the 'Herring Aid' circuit quite a few times in the last couple of years since getting infected with the tuna can radio disease at Rishworth QRP convention. I have quite a selection of tuna can rigs, although no Herring Aid as yet. My receivers are 3 different versions of W1REX's Sudden Storm.

    Good luck with the Herring Aid, a quick web search brings up quite a lot of information.

    http://www.njqrp.org/tuna/herring_text.html#Introduction

    72
    Colin
    M0CGH

    ReplyDelete
  2. How quaint, a BJT product detector :-).

    Here's a reference to the BTTF (Back To The Future) Herring Aid:



    So, don't be a crab. Get hooked up and fin-ish that flounder.

    73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL
    "Gone Fishin'"

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column