Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Sometimes the Receivers Seem to Almost Self-Assemble



I've been building shelves for my wife.  So I end up with all these nice pieces of pine, just the right size for the base of a breadboard receiver and a very sturdy cabinet to surround it.   Then I find in the junk box two nice variable caps and this old pill bottle coil (with tickler!) that I wound in 1998; I figure they will resonate from around 5 - 15 MHz.  Then Jeff Murray, K1NSS does that poster about Dave Richards, AA7EE (scroll down) in which he mentions the virtues of a National Velvet Vernier reduction drive -- I have one of those too.  And then there is the copper-clad board (from AL7RV/W8NSA) that would be perfect for the front panel.  You see where this is going, right? My friends, I am once again on the road to shortwave regeneration.  It will have an Armstrong detector with throttle cap.   

Our book: "SolderSmoke -- Global Adventures in Wireless Electronics" http://soldersmoke.com/book.htm Our coffee mugs, T-Shirts, bumper stickers: http://www.cafepress.com/SolderSmoke Our Book Store: http://astore.amazon.com/contracross-20

1 comment:

  1. The regen Gods are smiling down on your Bill. This one is going to work a treat. You have all the right ingredients - a National Velvet Vernier reduction drive, an air-spaced cap with ceramic insulators, a coil wound on a pill bottle. It HAS to work - it's in the stars!

    Dave
    AA7EE

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column