Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Friday, December 6, 2019

My QRPp Signal Arrived in Utah -- 100 mW, 1950 miles, 26 db Above the Noise!


So yesterday morning I was calling CQ on 40 meters with my ET2 two-transistor 100 mW rig.  Later, I took a look at the Reverse Beacon Network (RBN).  Among the East Coast skimmer stations that regularly pick me up I saw an  outlier:   WA7LNW in Utah.  He's 1950 miles from me. And the RBN reported that his receiver had me at 26 db above the noise.  

Here is a screen shot of the RBN report.  Note the time: 1234 UTC.  Around sunrise here -- so gray line conditions.   



But the really BIG factor explaining that 26db s/n ratio is WA7LNW's location: 

"Realtime spots are being received at this location and uploaded to the Reverse Beacon Network."

"CW Skimmer antenna is located on cliff edge overlooking the Virgin River Valley, 1,200 ft. below."

We reported on the WA7LNW RBN station back in 2013:  https://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2013/03/edgy-skimmer-antenna.html

Check out Jack's QRZ.com page: 

RBN is an important resource for QRPers and homebrewers.  Three cheers for Jack and all the skimmer stations.  Thank you all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column