Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Sunday, September 18, 2022

Building Farhan's PTO -- But Is This Really a PTO?

Farhan has a PTO in his Daylight Again transceiver.  This caught the attention of homebrewers around the world.  Walter down in Orlando built one.  Dean KK4DAS and I have built versions also. Dean has a 3D printer and made the coil support used in my version (above).  Thanks Dean! 
I had a little trouble at first because one of the capacitors I had in there was not NP0, so the device drifted a lot.  But once I straightened that out (I put in a Silver Mica cap in its place) the oscillator became very stable. Mine moves about 25 kHz with each turn of the bronze screw -- this is nicely linear tuning.  But I think I will have to use a San Jian counter to keep track of the frequency. The long plastic tube on mine is there to eliminate had capacitance effects. 

One of the guys in the Vienna Wireless Society questioned whether we should really call this a PTO.  After all, bronze has a permeability equal to that of free space. So we are not really changing the permeability.  Frank Harris points out that the bronze screw really acts as a shorted secondary.  What do you guys think?   Is this a PTO, or do we need another acronym to describe it? 

This has been a really fun project.  I never built an oscillator like this before.  I will probably follow up by building the rest of the Daylight Again rig. 

BTW  WA6OTP has a nice PTO design: http://www.wa6otp.com/pto.htm

Thanks again to Dean, and to Farhan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column