Monday, August 31, 2026

KW4H -- Steve -- "Knobs > Menus"

 

I really like the "KNOBS are greater than MENUS" sign.  For years we have been saying that menus are for restaurants.  FB Steve.  

Steve's resotation man-cave is very interesting, as are the rigs he has on the shelf or on the bench.  Lots of good work is obviously being done there.  

I also have one of those KP4USA QSL cards. Steve and I got into ham radio at around the same time, so it is possible that he was on the other end of that QSO.  I will check. 

Check out Steve's QRZ page: https://www.qrz.com/db/KW4H


3 comments:

  1. Nice notion about knobs, and I was also once very fond of my
    HR-1680 receiver until I realized that I much prefer any of my
    homebrew receivers (including direct conversion), because the
    frequency tuning sensitivity of the HR-1680 is simply too high
    to tune in anything other than a CW station at my age, and also
    because there is no switch to disable the annoying AGC system.
    The only thing more difficult for me than operating my HR-1680
    would be to try using any of the modern menu-driven
    feature-saturated commercial radios.
    --Walter KA4KX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just say no to menu radios Walter! 73 Bill N2CQR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Go look in the comments over at HaD. You have received a challenge! Should be a good one to not include menus on.

      https://hackaday.com/2026/08/28/reviving-an-sd-card-with-shorted-capacitors/

      Delete