Friday, August 14, 2026

Some Great Workshop Ideas from Germany -- What do you think? Is there any overkill? Should I stick with the baby-wipe boxes?


Here we continue out series on workshops.  This one is in English, so most readers will not need any closed captions nor translation.

There are a lot of good ideas in this video.  I found myself thinking about my shack in Virginia and the one in the Dominican Republic.  My parts strorage is very outdated.  Here in Virginia I make use of old cardboard shoe boxes, and plastic "baby wipe" boxes (they are really old).  I may need a 3D printer.  

Check out this fellow's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@greatscottlab  

5 comments:

  1. Baby wipe boxes last for years and years. They can be easily marked with a Sharpie and erased with isopropanol. I have over 25 of them for 30+years. Old Akro-Mils small parts cabinets can be had for a fraction of the price of new at hamfests. Often they go for $5-$10. Take them home, clean them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still, I find myself jealous of the modernity! 73 Bill N2CQR

      Delete
    2. Others see items as instantly disposable. We see things as re-purposable or at worst recycleable. But no one can complain about Ikea. Ahh... Swedish Meatballs !!

      Delete
  2. Another amazingly talented and prolific technical
    video creator who was unknown to me previously.
    Certainly his labeling is especially fantastic along with
    the multi-colored drawer cabinet.
    I had a good laugh comparing his new workshop
    to my setup which has never been revamped in
    42 years. For instance my lighting arrangement is a
    conglomeration of ceiling fan bulbs, a fluorescent
    bench lamp, a bedroom nightstand light, an
    accent light, a desk lamp, and a pole lamp.
    Anyway, the advantage of my old man workshop
    is that when I am gone disposition will be easy;
    just throw everything in the trash!
    --Walter KA4KXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. But not the homebrew stuff Walter! That must be preserved. I too liked his labeler -- and here I thought that my ancient DYMO was really good. I liked his focus (!) on lighting. I too have a grab bag of assorted incandescent and LED lights. Yuck. 73 Bill N2CQR

    ReplyDelete