Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Getting Settled -- Slowly. Yogi Berra on Theory and Practice

I've been getting some "Are you alive?" inquiries from SolderSmoke fans. I'm happy to report that, yes, I am still around, and doing fairly well. This move back to the states has been a bit more difficult and complicated than previous transfers, but slowly the shack is starting to come
together. Moat important: The Drake 2-B survived the journey!

It may take me a few weeks to start emitting whistling S sounds and Gong noises ("Wow, that's awesome!') but hang in there, new SolderSmoke episodes are on the way.

Meanwhile, I wanted to share with you a Yogi Berra quote sent to me by Brent, KD0GLS. I think this is especially appropriate because my grandfather actually played for the New York Yankees:

"As I make my way through the back episodes of SolderSmoke at a stately pace and hear you speak of Bletchley Park, I'm also reading "Secrets & Lies" by Bruce Schneier, renowned cryptographer and internet security expert. In his book, I read this timeless quote that immediately made me think of our hobby:

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Yogi Berra"

Thanks Brent! Thanks Yogi!

3 comments:

  1. Phew. Good to hear from you! I was starting to wonder... I've just gotten through the back issues of the podcast (thanks for helping me drive hundreds of miles through France). I'm waiting for the postman to deliver a Hand Summers QRSS beacon, and I'm working my way through EMRFD. You got a lot to answer for, fella!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wasn't much worried about you but whew!, thank goodness the 2B is OK. ;-)

    73 from somewhere northwest of Karl.......Steve Smith WB6TNL
    "Snort Rosin"

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Sunday morning, dawn over the White Cliffs. Time to let the hens out but on my way flicking the shack power on. Colette (8) is in the shack too, she is the egg collector. I get an immediate comfort fix from the glowing LED displays, 80M already alive. IZ's chatting. ROO has already left Dover bound for Buckinghamshire he is buying a B2 TX today, will visit the Construction Club after lunch to check it out. BUT STILL NO Soldersmoke! but then perhaps it is too early. Bill is now still in the darkness behind our time zone not ahead no need to be up at 0400 for the chance of a chat. Hope all is going well Bill and your family are all well. My next build is one of Hans' beacons too, Merv has his Paraset working, Peter and I are close to testing the TX. The chaps here send our best wishes from the Dover Construction Club. N. (M0NDE)

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column