Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Blast from the Past: THE HAMMARLUND HQ-100

I'm sitting here in the shack at 0645 EST on the first Sunday morning in 2011. Coffee is on. And so is my OLD Hammarlund HQ-100. I have it tuned to a friendly AM roundtable on 75 meters. And it sounds GREAT. Nothing like a receiver that is as broad as a barn door to let you appreciate that great AM sound.

This receiver and I have some history. I bought it in the Dominican Republic, probably in 1993, probably from my friend (now SK) Pericles Perdomo. It had suffered the ravages of the Dominican radio environment from both ends: I think I found signs of a lightning surge at the front end, and of a power surge at the AC input. The audio output transformer was bad also. This was one of my first tube-type renovation project. I had a lot of fun with it.

There are no crystal filters in this receiver. If you want to narrow it down, there is a Q-multiplier (so --yikes!-- this receiver is at least in part a regen). In its original configuration the Q multiplier doubled at the BFO, but I guess my anti-regen feelings were at work even then: I took the 100 kc crystal calibrator and put a 453.5 kc crystal in there -- so that calibrator now serves as the BFO. This seems much more civilized.

You can see in the picture that the clock is gone. Mine was in pretty sad shape when I got it. Plus I thought it looked kind of goofy in that otherwise very beautiful front panel. So I took the clock out, patched the hole, and gave the clock to a very grateful Hammarlund collector.

The AM really sounds great. I can see that I'm going to need a 75 meter dipole so I can match this receiver up with my DX-60 VF-1 combo.

8 comments:

  1. FB, Bill.
    Still waiting to hear YOU on 75M AM!
    Happy New Year to you and yours!!
    73
    Steve WA2DTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. FB, Bill.
    Still waiting to hear YOU on 75M AM!
    Happy New Year to you and yours!!
    73
    Steve WA2DTW

    ReplyDelete
  3. FB, Bill.
    Still waiting to hear YOU on 75M AM!
    Happy New Year to you and yours!!
    73
    Steve WA2DTW

    ReplyDelete
  4. FB on the HQ-100 Bill! You have me waxing nostalgic for my old Hammarlund HQ-180A.

    Does the HQ-100 have the perforated enclosure on top so the dial lights cast a surreal pattern of dots across the shack walls and ceiling? The steady pulse of WWV or interval signals from Duetche Welle hypnotizing on those cold winter nights as the warm "radio smell" fills the shack?

    How did I let that '180 get away from me?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew: Yes indeed, the cabinet plays a key role in the dial lights display of the HQ-100. In fact, many years ago I nominated the HQ-100 for consideration in a dial lights competition -- I think it was on the old Boatanchors list.

    73 Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Bill commenting on the blog? And a mention of "radio smell"? Where is Snort Rosin to weigh in on this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, there's nothing like the aroma of a good working Hammarlund or any good GlowBuggy for that matter. And that light show from the HQ's cabinet perforations....takes me back to my youth in the 60's. Far out, man.

    I did have an HQ-140 for a little while a few years back. But I had too many receivers at the time and that big grey beast just had to go.

    Say Bill, you could fill that clock space with a digital freq. readout. Or, how about that -and- a 'Select-O-Ject' audio filter!

    73 from the edge of the soggy left coast.......Steve Smith WB6TNL "Snort Rosin"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Bill,

    I have an HQ-100,also,that I have hot-rodded a bit. Recapping helped tremendously as well as adding an RF amp from Kits & Parts. Working on improving selectivity...

    Can't say that your 'repair' looks better than the clock...hihi.

    73
    Herb/WR9H

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column