Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Thursday, October 6, 2022

Adding a Diode Ring to the Direct Conversion Receiver, And How the Diode Ring Works


I take a look back at Wes Hayward's classic DC receiver from the November 1968 QST.
I then try to describe how diode ring mixers work ("the particular go of it") using Alan Wolke's excellent YouTube description as my base.

I present some drawings that I did that use the "crossed diode" diagram as the start.

I also discuss interference from Radio Marti's 250 kW transmitter on 7335 kHz in Greenville NC.

Finally, we listen to the receiver a bit.

Alan Wolke's Diagram

Wes Hayward's 1968 DC Receiver

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bill,
    I've thoroughly enjoyed all of your videos and explanation of the circuits in your new DC receiver inspired by W7ZOI article/schematic in Novemember 1968 edition of QST. I think you are on to something. I need to count up how many DC receivers I've built over the years, but so far I haven't built anything that I was proud of. Darn it Bill, now you motivated me to give it a go again!

    Just as I was asking myself "What about microphonics?" You mentioned it in your video. However, please bang on each pcb and see if there is no microphonics also. If you have none then my hat is off to you. Either way, you have a radio to be proud of and I especially like your aversion to the LM386, lol. Keep the solder flowing and I will be following your progress on the DC receiver.

    Alan/N8WQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan. I think the DC receiver is a great "next step" project after the Michigan Mighty Mite TX. And once the DC RX is built, it is relatively easy to turn it into a DC/DSB transceiver. 73 Bill

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column