Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Immediate Gratification: WSPR shows results very fast

So you build or modify a rig and you put up a new antenna and you then spend some time wondering if you're really "getting out," right? Well, wonder no more my friends! WSPR provides almost instant feedback on your work! Here is what the display looked like for my station a short time after I connected my modified transceiver to my new 30 meter dipole. Pond crossings were rare events before.

In my last post I asked if there were others running homebrew gear on WSPR. I am not alone! Paul, M0XPD, has put together a rig far more sophisticated than mine. Paul writes:

You ask if there are any others running h/b in WSPR...
My 50mW multi-mode beacon runs WSPR, DFCW and S/MT Hell on a 10-minute, frequency-hopping cycle.
It is entirely stand-alone - severing the umbilical cord to the PC gave me a really good feeling!
I'm currently working on a set of filters (BP and LP) to allow me to run on other bands (currently I'm on 30m).
Description on my blog: http://m0xpd.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bill,

    You asked if any others were using homebrew WSPR equipment. My homebrew WSPR projects are found here: http://www.knology.net/~gmarcus/

    73, Gene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool these WSPR doings! Just a mundane question: when you're working at your bench, or doing other radio stuff, do you drink espresso or fancy coffee? Although I love those coffees, I find ham shack activities REQUIRE the more watery, Mr. Coffee (TM) type coffee and lots of it. And no fancy creme here. You gotta use the non-dairy creamer. 73

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee? On the bench?! And spoil the fine aroma of the rosin!!??

    Surely you jest.

    (Usually I have too many clip leads scattered around the bench ready to ensnare any full cup of beverage.)

    73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL
    "Snort Rosin"

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column