Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Saturday, December 25, 2021

The (Real) Solar Flare of August 1972 in Cixin Liu's Science Fiction

 

A view of McMath Region 11976 from the Paris Observatory early on 4 August 1972. 

I have a vivid memory of seeing -- as a kid -- Aurora from our home near New York City.  Eric Carlsen, my childhood friend and colleague from the Waters Edge Rocket Research Society,  told me his mom had similar memories. A while back I did some Googling and concluded that it had to have been the monster solar flare of  August 1972:

 https://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2009/09/carrington-flares-aurora-where-were-you.html    

That blog post got about eight comments, mostly from other folks with similar memories -- they apparently were led to my blog by the same kind of memory-based Googling that I had done. 

This year, on Christmas Eve, Elisa and I were flying home from the Dominican Republic. I was reading (on my phone) "To Hold Up the Sky," an anthology of Cixin Liu's science fiction short-stories.   I'd read his excellent "Three body Problem" in the Dominican Republic back in December 2017.   His work is usually "hard" sic-fi, with a strong connection to real physics.

One of the short stories in the anthology is entitled "Full Spectrum Barrage Jamming." Wow, I thought, that one is really promises to be very interesting for a radio amateur.  I turned out that it was more interesting than I expected. 

I won't spoil the story for you.  Suffice it to say that Cixin Liu makes reference to the same August 1972 solar flare that I remember from my childhood, and discusses its effect on radio propagation.  It was really kind of eerie to be in that plane, flying over the Bahamas, reading Chi-Fi on my I-phone, and seeing the author reference that memorable event from 1972.  TRGHS. 

There were plans to turn this story into a movie: https://www.yicaiglobal.com/news/wandering-earth-producer-to-film-another-liu-cixin-novel

Here is an excellent article describing what happened back in 1972: https://room.eu.com/article/lessons-from-the-sun.   The August 1972 flare was so strong that it caused U.S. Navy anti-ship mines to explode in Haiphong harbor in Vietnam. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember that event. I was in eastern NC getting ready to head to college as a freshman and was focused on college and the war in Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at Cornell University in Ithaca NY, just about to start my senior year. It was the first time I'd seen auroras, and it was spectacular! I had no idea til recent reading starting on spaceweather.com put me on the track of similar storms.

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column