Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Friday, December 10, 2021

Where is Sunspot Cycle 25?


The other day I was complaining to Pete N6QW that 17 meters still seems to be in very poor shape.  I can hear 6Y6Y around mid day, but I don't often hear Europeans.  I did year my friend Mike EI0CL yesterday on 17, but conditions were not good.  Pete asked, "Where is Cycle 25?"  Good question. The Space Weather Center has the answer.  

Their Solar Cycle Progression page is up-to-date.  With the slider below each chart you can go back as far as 1750.  Check out Cycle 19.  I was born near the peak (TRGHS).  Pete was on the air during that cycle. Cycle 23 also looked pretty good. I was out in the Azores then (2000-2003) -- no wonder I could work VK and ZL with a 5 watt DSB rig.  

I like the little solar conditions widget that has appeared in the left hand column of this page, and I am grateful to the provider,  but the widget just doesn't update regularly.  So I think I'm going to switch to a link from the Space Weather Prediction Center that shows the numbers we really need: Solar Flux Index (SFI), Sunspot Number (SN), A index, K index.  (Please let me know what you think about this change.) 

Here is the link to the Solar Cycle Progression Charts (be sure to use the sliders):  

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-cycle-progression

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column