Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

The Art of Electronics #5 Paul Horowitz on SETI (and lots of other radio stuff)


In 2016 Paul Horowitz  talked about SETI at Google. Fascinating stuff.  Paul did an especially good job of weaving in a lot of radio/electronic and computer info.  

-- I was pleased to learn that one of the early radio astronomy antennas used plywood covered with copper.  I hope it was copper tape! 

-- I didn't know that the Fast Fourier Transform was something developed in the 1960s. 

-- Parkes Telescope!  Yea! 

-- Paul's "chirping" of receivers to screen out targets that are NOT doppler shifting (i.e. terrestrial signals). 

-- Paul tells the group that "amateur" does not mean unprofessional -- it means that the person is doing it for the love of doing it.  Amen. 

-- SETI at Home. 

-- Tube op-amps!  (was that two 12AX7s?)  

--  A variometer!  Wow!  I have two here -- one in the ET-2 regen receiver  (a gift from Pericles HI8P), and another that I homebrewed using a 35mm film can.  

Great stuff from Paul. 

1 comment:

  1. I love Talks at Google. They usually have such interesting guests. I haven't really thought about SETI in quite a while, but I used to be pretty interested in the idea that we might detect intelligent life out there. I had the SETI @ home screensaver that allowed SETI to use the unused computing power of my desktop while I wasn't using it so they could process the data they were pulling in from their antennas. Pretty neat idea. I wonder if other projects are still doing distributed computing stuff in a similar way.

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column