Podcasting since August 2005! Listen to our latest podcast here:

Podcasting since August 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Monday, July 20, 2026

Comments on the SolderSmoke Direct Conversion Receiver from Andri in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia


Congratualtions to Andri, of Bandung, West Java, Indonesia.   Andri successfully built the SolderSmoke Direct Conversion receiver.  (See the the Short below for a video of his receiver in operation.)  Like many, he had some trouble getting the AF transformer -- so he took one out of an old Japanese transistor radio.  He needed the FET for the PTO, so he made due with a surface mount part.  All this by someone who does not have a ham license.  I think he deserves a license, solely based on his successful build of this receiver.  He has done something that most hams will never do:  He has homebrewed a receiver.    Thanks Andri!

-----------------------------------------------

Comments from Andri: 

I am just a newbie and not a ham radio operator, so I don't have a callsign. I do enjoy building electronic things though even though I have no background in electrical engineering.

It was a nice rewarding experience building this receiver. The challenging part was sourcing some parts which are hard to come by here in Indonesia such as the toroid cores, JFET and audio transformer. So I substituted FT50-6 with FT50-2, T50-43 with ferrite core for SMPS, and I use an SMD JFET instead.

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions on how to build this radio. Without them I would be lost. Ham radio has always been intriguing to me, but I never got into it because it is a prohibitive hobby.

---------------------------------------------------

Bandung Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandung

No comments:

Post a Comment