I am a fan of Fraser Cain's. I encourage SolderSmoke listeners, readers, and viewers to check out his work: https://www.youtube.com/@frasercain
Having grown up with a steady stream of Carl Sagan ("billions and billions") and Star Trek, I naturally accepted that there must be some other intelligent civilizations out there. But maybe not. Lately I have been hearing from some very well informed people that we may be alone. This video explains why. It also has a lot of good information on how to carry our a Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.
Please let me know what you think about all this.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWell Todd, I think it is an important question.
ReplyDeleteMany have always wished , believed and hoped for life elsewhere.
ReplyDeleteThe belief can help a individual feel less lonely , or part of something bigger than his own small and comparatively insignificant life.
Indeed Star Trek (great show) promoted the idea that we are just one voice of a chorus , (of similar beings) and that we are all equally important.
This is a far more positive life philosophy than eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
The idea of , ‘there are likely to be many Earth-like planets out there in the vastness of space , so there surely must be others with other people on it as well’… seems statistically logical thinking.
Sadly , this is a logical fallacy.
Likely either appeal to probability , a hasty generalization or the gamblers fallacy , in which if you play enough games you are bound to win in the end.
The existence of planets that could in theory support some form of life is unrelated to the question if life exists there.
The conclusion is non sequitur.
Technologies that are being used to answer this question do not.
So don’t expect any answers anytime soon --- which is a incredible business model , science that never will prove anything , while keeping on providing products and services to answer a question that will never be answered.
I should find a way to cash in on this gig. :-)
I am sure we are not alone. They have been visiting us before to check fo r intelligent life and left bewildered.....
ReplyDeleteI grew up with Star Trek and enjoy almost everything Sci-Fi. But there is astrophysical reality: for example, scientists have discovered over 5,000 planets beyond our solar system, but none of those planets reside in any of the 14 planetary "habitable zones" -- and for a planet to be truly habitable it must reside in ALL fourteen. The only known planet that resides in all fourteen is earth. Everywhere else is hostile to not only advanced life, but even microbial life. And that's just one angle of this. I don't buy into any idea of aliens from other planets or -- for that matter -- alien UFOs. There are other explanations for those UFO sightings that are far more plausible than the assumption that they came from other planets.
ReplyDelete