Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Regens: A Complex Relationship; AA7EE's WBR


Bill -
I've been following your blog for a while now and am moved to let you know of my recent experience with regens, a subject that I know is dear to your heart or perhaps, more accurately, the basis of a complex relationship!
Anyway, the last time I built and owned a regen was as a teenager in the UK in the late 1970's when I had a one-tube HAC Model DX one tube regen. Recently I've been looking for a fairly simple receiver to build that would
receive CW and SSB on 40M, as well as AM. I'm developing an interest in AM on 40, a rather impractical mode in some ways, but one that I have an attachment to. A regen seemed an obvious choice, so after seeing the
reprint in "More QRP Power" of the QST article describing N1BYT's WBR regen, I decided to have a go at it.
In short, I'm so glad this was the first regen of my adult life. It is sensitive, suffers no hand-capacitance effects, has very little radiation from the antenna port due to the oscillator tank circuit being in a Wheatstone Bridge arrangement,
no microphony and to make things even better, is very stable in frequency. I can set it to a net or long-winded CW QSO and it stays there with no easily discernible drift (after a short warm-up period of course).
I know you're probably aware of this receiver, but have you tried building one? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
The blog post about my version of this great little receiver is here:
Yours,
Dave Richards
AA7EE

Our book: "SolderSmoke -- Global Adventures in Wireless Electronics"
http://soldersmoke.com/book.htm
Our coffee mugs, T-Shirts, bumper stickers: http://www.cafepress.com/SolderSmoke
Our Book Store: http://astore.amazon.com/contracross-20

2 comments:

  1. Wow now that is a clean build!
    Sorry to say Bill but this might be one of the reasons for his successful regen receiver....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right Rogier. No hope for me. I better stick with DC receivers and superhets. Also, we must remember: REGENS ARE POSSESSED!

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column