Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Monday, May 6, 2013

Homebrew Adventures with JT65


My six dollar DDS board hasn't arrived yet, so this weekend I worked on the re-build of the 30 meter Direct Conversion/DSB transmitter that I built in Rome (originally for WSPR use).  I was hoping to use this rig to make at least a few PSK-31 contacts.   But I started seeing these strange looking sigs in the waterfall.  I found out they are JT65 (JT for Joe Taylor).  So I downloaded the program JT65-HF.  I got the receiver going very quickly (it is a 40675 dual gate MOSFET followed by the audio amplifier out of Roger Hayward's Ugly Weekender RX).  The transmitter is just a two diode singly balanced modulator followed by the RF chain from Peter Parker's Beach 40 Rig.   QSOs seem imminent.


Our book: "SolderSmoke -- Global Adventures in Wireless Electronics" http://soldersmoke.com/book.htm Our coffee mugs, T-Shirts, bumper stickers: http://www.cafepress.com/SolderSmoke Our Book Store: http://astore.amazon.com/contracross-20

3 comments:

  1. Right click in the window Dial QRG khz and select your frequency.
    73 John KC0BMF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you have the JT bug Bill.

    I love this mode. Current record for me is Chicago -> South Africa with about 400mw using a random long wire tuned on 40meters. Incredible mode and I cannot wait to hear how you do with it!

    W9PDS

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably already know this mode requires accurate time. I run NTP on my Win7 machine, but used Dimension 4 on my XP. Also, we usually use JT65 with a computer controlled rig, so you'll be doing some manual operations. You want to check out JT-Alert. It is a super handy application that runs with JT65, and makes operating much more fun.

    Enjoy; I hope to see you on the air!

    73,
    Steve
    W1KF

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column