Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Thursday, February 3, 2022

Exorcism Lite -- Spur Suppressed on 17 meter Transmitter -- Split TX/RX Station On The Air


I spent most of January in the tropics, away from my workbench.  This seems to have had a good effect on my 17 meter split TX/RX project.  As I was leaving, heading south,  I was thinking about several difficult options to deal with my spur problem (see previous blog posts). I thought about turning the transmitter into a transceiver by building a receiver board.   I thought about putting San Jian frequency counters on both the transmitter and the receiver, then doing a visual numerical "netting" by just putting the two devices on the same frequency (I actually ordered 3 San Jian counters).   The counter option was even more complicated than it at first seemed -- I would have to build a converter to shift the RX VFO frequency up.  VK2EMU suggested a tube type "Magic Eye" (interesting idea, but also complicated).   This was getting out of hand. 

When I got back home, I took a new look at the problem.   I decided to take one more shot at suppressing the 8th harmonic of the carrier oscillator.  I had already built a new oscillator and buffer using the circuit from Farhan's BITX20.  And I had put it in a metal box.  Now I decided to do three things: 

1) Tighten up the low pass filter at the output of the buffer by moving the cutoff frequency lower (to around 7 MHz) thereby getting a bit more suppression at 41 MHz

2) Try putting a series LC shunt circuit tuned to 41 MHz  at the output of the carrier oscillator (between the oscillator and the buffer). 

3)  Reduce the voltage to the oscillator/buffer.  I have this on a pot, so I can adjust it down to the point where the remnant of the harmonic is no longer audible, while keeping the main carrier osc signal sufficiently strong. 

It seemed to work.  I could now hear the desired frequency for spotting, without the confusing tone from the spur.  

Why had I been able to do this back in 2002 in the Azores using a simple trimmer cap to ground?  My guess is that I was using my Drake 2-B as the receiver.  The trimmer cap to ground may have reduced harmonic output.  And I was probably cranking back the RF gain on the 2-B to the point where I could hear the desired signal but not the remnants of the spur.  I have no RF gain control on the Barebones Barbados receiver that I am using in this project. 

So, what's the lesson from all this?  Well, if you are faced with a serious technical problem, and you find yourself considering complicated and difficult solutions,  go to the Dominican Republic for about a month (especially if it is January or February), and then take another look at the problem when you return.  If you are unable to travel this far or for this long,  taking a walk or taking a weekend break from a troublesome problem will likely have a similar mind-clearing effect. 

The video above shows part of a February 1, 2022 QSO with Gar WA5FWC using the split TX/RX 17 meter rig.  Gar is an amazing long-time SSB homebrewer who got his start with phasing rigs back in the day. 

5 comments:

  1. Bill
    Low pass filtering an LO that drives a diode mixer is often ineffective because the mixer limits and clips the LO signal, basically regenerating the harmonics. Look at a scope waveform of the LO while connected to the mixer to convince yourself. If the LO waveform is perfectly symmetric then the regenerated harmonics will primarily be odd order. If there is any asymmetry then there will also be even order harmonics. This is the cause of many mixer response issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just needed to reduce the level of the 8th harmonic. I think that the steps I took reduced the level to the point that I no longer could hear the tone caused by this harmonic mixing with the 23 MHz output of the VFO. Sure, the mixer will generate an 8th harmonic. But it won't be as strong as the 8th harmonic coming directly from the VFO and buffer amp. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which of the 3 things you did had the major impact? I'd guess it was lowering the operating voltage of the buffer, thereby not driving the diodes into limiting as hard and thus reducing the harmonic re-generation in the mixer. But that's just my theory. I could also be very wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think each of them helped a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got it sorted Bill and I hope you had a good time away. 73 Nick M0NTV

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column