Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Monday, February 14, 2022

6EA8s in the Mate for the Mighty Midget, and WA9WFA Re-Builds a Heath HW-12


I reported to Scott and Grayson that I had finally gotten around to changing the three aging 6U8 tubes in my Mate for the Mighty Midget receiver.  I replaced them with three more youthful 6EA8s.  This switch really seemed to perk up the old receiver.   I'm listening to 75 meters on it right now. 

Speaking of 75 meters, Scott sent me this picture of his latest effort:  re-building a Heathkit HW-12.  FB.  This is a way of experiencing (or re-experiencing) the construction of a Heathkit.  I did something similar, but much less complicated)  with a Heathkit VF-1.  Scott did a wonderful job taking this old rig apart.  That PC board looks great (see photo below). 

Scott's e-mail:  

Hi Bill and Grayson, I’m glad to hear of your good results with the 6EA8’s in your MMMrx! I had similar results when I finally got rid of the 6U8’s with their iffy performance and went with the 6EA8’s.  I did put a set of 6GH8A’s and tried it out, it worked, but I don’t have any data on performance improvements.  After completing the outboard power supply and audio amplifier, I’ve taken a break from my MMMRx and it’s sitting there on the bench. I’ll get back to it in a while.  

 

In the meantime I’ve started a new project where I’m re-kitting a Heathkit HW-12 eighty meter transceiver.  I have completed the disassembly process including the pcb.  I bought a Hakko vacuum desoldering iron for taking all (ALL) parts off of the pcb, and it’s bare now.   I’m planning to start rebuilding this coming week.  73 Scott WA9WFA  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column