Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Monday, July 11, 2022

Surface-Mount Solder Smoke -- Is THIS Really Homebrew?


I was recently noting that the assembly of IC, CPU-based projects doesn't seem like real homebrew radio.  I realize that there is a danger here -- there is a tendency in ham radio to reject the new and to stick with the old.  "SPARK FOREVER" was the rallying cry when CW came along.  There are still a lot of AMers who refer to SSB as "Single Slop Bucket." So, with that in mind I point the blog to the above video.    He is using complicated ICs that probably have thousands if not millions of transistors.  But he is definitely making something new. And he releases some real solder smoke in the process.   FB.  

It is probably not for me, but others may like it. Like the old song says "Different strokes for different folks." YMMV.   

6 comments:

  1. IC's are here to stay in homebrew, like it or not. However, if you can't etch your own PCB or the project needs a multi-layer PCB from a factory to work you have to question how homebrew it really is. Relying on simulation and PCB auto-routing software is another tipping point for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I guess it is good to have tipping points on the homebrew definition. 73 Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree with the "anon poster" that the ability to etch your own boards is useful with SMT - it is not an absolute necessity.
    You can buy small PCBs with just the IC pads and expanded areas to solder wires to.

    An example being here:-
    http://qrpme.com/?p=product&id=MePT

    ... and you might (as I do) need a magnifying glass to work under but it is not out of our reach - and there is more choice in available chippery with surface mount devices.
    72
    Tony G4WIF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and I find PCB's for SMD components easier to make (no or little drilling). Simple strip board and a small thin dremel cut wheel are also workable for prototyping with SMD components. A hot air rework station makes easy work of substituting values. Oops, no iron, that may be a step to far for some. :D
      Chris.

      Delete
  4. With the trend of less and less new through hole components getting to the market, the availability of free PCB design / simulation software, the possibility to make PCB's on a "simple" DIY CNC routers or for just a few bucks at a PCB factory, SMT will be the next step in homebrewing.

    We may not like it, may not have the "I build this" look, it's here to stay and we have to get used to it.

    So start explore that area, buy a good magnification lamp (or a used 10x stereo microscope), get a hot air soldering station combo and give it a try. You may like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you Lex. I'm already there in some ways -- I used some factory produced PCBs from K7TFC in my 1712 rig. I have San Jian frequency counters in both the Mythbuster and 1712 rigs. And I've already burned through one hot air combo soldering station. But I recognize, for example, that I did not HOMEBREW those San Jian counters. 73 Bill

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column