Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

W2UO's Michigan Mighty Mite -- Made a Contact!

Hi Bill,

I found SolderSmoke about six months ago, and it's quickly become one of my favorite podcasts.

I've been a ham since I was 11, but never tried my hand at homebrewing anything.  I've always heard how hard it would be, and how a project like a SSB transmitter is just too far out of reach.

You and Pete are inspirational, so I set out to build a simple starter project, the venerable Michigan Mighty Mite.  However not just any mighty mite, a usable one, not just a proof of concept.  One intended to sit on a desk and look good doing it.  Complete with built in low pass filter, tx/rx switching, and an internal dummy load.

I don't know if I accomplished all that, but I did make a contact on it this afternoon.  Next logical step I suppose will be to build a DC receiver to sit next to it.

Please find pictures attached, I've learned a lot about what not to do with project, so criticism is welcome.

73!
-Jim W2UO



My response: 

Wow Jim, that is really wonderful.  Congratulations on the build.   I've built many of them, but I don't think I ever made a contact with a MMM.  FB.  

It looks great to me!   Indeed, you should do a Direct Conversion receiver next.    Maybe do a receiver for 40, then do a version of the MMM for that same band.  Then you could 
make a completely homebrew QSO.   I did this recently on 40:  https://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2023/02/first-qso-with-high-school-receiver-100.html    It was a real hoot!  

Our friend Dean also built a MMM as his first project:  https://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/2019/12/dean-kk4das-puts-michigan-mighty-mite.html

Please keep us posted on your progress. 

Again, congratulations!   73  Bill N2CQR

1 comment:

  1. Nice build Jim, great results too!
    73
    Tony G4WIF

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column