Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Building a Crystal Set (Videos)


Andreas DL1AJG in Germany sent the above video to me.  Andreas is the fellow who ran the course in which his university-level students built direct conversion receivers.  

I like the presenter's technique.  But it would have been cooler if he actually used a chunk of Galena or Iron Pyrite, with a cats whisker.  (I still have some of the Iron Pyrite that Mike KL7R gave me many years ago.)  I think that all radio amateurs should (as a rite of passage) actually poke a crystal with a cats whisker in search of a signal. Like here: 


 Thanks Andreas!

1 comment:

  1. I have found that the spring out of a ballpoint pen makes a great cats whisker. I have used one with an actual piece of galena from Galena, Illinois. Literally tons of it out there to grab.

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column