Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Wild Woody WARC Keys


From the NAQCC newsletter: "The key is Dave's own unique invention called the WILD WOODY WARC KEY, and each key is consecutively serial numbered. (My key is number 476). WILD WOODY WARC KEYs have a place of honor in the ARRL Headquarters, and in the offices of Kewnwood, Icom and other such places. Dave, as some of you may know writes a monthy column for CQ Magazine and is the author of several books on keys, QRP operation and other subjects. The WILD WOODY WARC KEY is pictured below. Ingenous simplicity -- a true work of wonder. Thank you Dave."

I post this for several reasons.  

1) A friend recently complained that telegraph keys are getting expensive.  "Ha!" I said.  This proves me right.   Clothes pins are not expensive. 

2) I think we should make more use of clothes pins in ham radio.  They were used in my 20/15 meter dipole in the Dominican Republic. 

3) I worked K4TWJ several times -- twice from the Dominican Republic, and once from Virginia using a homebrew transceiver that he had inspired.  He was pleased.  It was cool. 

4) As a little kid, I liked Woody the Woodpecker. 

4) On Thursday morning my wife and I saw a Pileated Woodpecker (just like Woody!) in our neighborhood.  TRGHS. 




1 comment:

  1. Why is it called a WARC key? Only works on the WARC bands???

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column