Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Saturday, April 16, 2022

Soldering School -- 1958 (Video)


I went to a similar course at Ft. Gordon Ga. in 1977.  But I think my instructors would pass out if they saw the way I REALLY solder in the shack today.  But hey, I am building SSB transceivers, not spacecraft.  If one of my joints is bad (they rarely are), I can fix it.  So chill out Mr. Instructor -- if we were to do every connection your way it would take us a lot longer to build a rig.  

 

3 comments:

  1. The safety standards would take exception to the "J" hook on the wire to terminal. The safety standards which specify the connection must be mechanically secure before soldering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through a similar course at Fort Gordon, as well, in 1992. I have often wondered what the instructors would think of how I actually soldered in the field (ARC51-BX, anyone) and especially now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a soldering class at NASA as a co-op student in the 70's. I don't recall too much specific, except they emphasized cutting the lead first, before soldering it in the hole in the PCB, so the solder would completely enclose the end of the wire, to avoid admitting any gas exposure to the exposed/cut end of the component lead.

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column