Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Level UP EE Lab Builds a Superhet Receiver


I was really glad to have stumbled across Darren's YouTube channel: 

Heck, he has an S-38E on the shelf above his bench.  He is clearly one of us.  What is his callsign?  

This morning I watched the first and last of his 10 videos on his superhet receiver project.  Very cool.  Lots of good info in there.  And there is something for everyone:  Arduinos and Si5351s, along with a lot of standard analog circuitry.  The first episode appears above. 

The variable bandwidth filter looks very interesting. And there was a nice shout-out to Charlie Morris and one to Hans Summers. 

I really like his effort in episode 10 to measure Minimum Discernible Signal using commonly available test gear.  This helped me in my effort to get more rigorous and serious about receiver performance measurement.    

Darren has many other excellent projects on his YouTube channel.  My Hammarlund HQ-100 receiver started giving me trouble this week, and I was debating whether or not to fix the old thing.  Darren's channel provided the inspiration I needed.  It will be fixed!   

Please subscribe to Darren's channel.  And spread the word about his videos.  We definitely want him to make a lot more.  

Thanks Darren! 

2 comments:

  1. Me thinks he took on too much, after success with his direct conversation rx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column