Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

The Beginning of MY Radio Life...

 
Unlike Pete (see below), I don't have any cool pictures of me in front of an early station.   But in the picture above,  there I am, at the Thanksgiving table in 1973 age 15.  I was on the air by this date, on CW as WN2QHL.  Armed with a Lafayette HA-600A and a DX-40, I was tearing up the ham bands, especially 40 meters.  Look at the tension in my face, the grip of my fist... I just wanted to finish that turkey and get on the air!  But no, I had to have Thanksgiving dinner. 

I recently realised that I have been a ham for more than 50 years. Is there an HCWA?    

This and the recent movie from India led me to think about the timeline of my early radio days: 

-- Christmas 1972.  Santa brings me a Lafayette HA-600A general coverage receiver.  With jeweled movements.  Age:  14

-- April 27, 1973.  Novice Ticket becomes effective.  WN2QHL.  Age 14. 

-- July 19, 1973.  First contact (with Elmer WN2NEC).  Age 14.

-- February 1 and 2 1973.  A grumpy old-timer calls -- during the Novice Roundup! -- to tell me that I'm putting harmonics onto the 20 meter band.  I get scared and go off the air.  Geez!  I probably just needed to retune the tank circuit.  Age 15. 

-- February 23, 1974.  I go back on the air with a DX-100.  Age 15. 

-- March 5, 1974.  I take the General Class exam at the FCC office in New York City. I pass. Age 15. 

-- April 11, 1974.  I buy the Drake 2-B from WN2NEC. This revolutionizes my radio life.  Fifteen meter contacts become possible.   Age 15. 

-- April 13, 1974.  I work ZL2ACP on 15 meter CW.  I wake up my parents to tell them.  Age 15. 

-- April 21, 1974.  END OF NOVICE OPERATION.  Apparently we were still working under a one year limitation on Novice operation.  Could the expiration date have been marked on the license? 

At this point the FCC screwed up and sent me a Technician License instead of a General Class License.  My father got on the phone to Gettysburg and straightened this out.  Thanks Dad.  So I was only a Technician for a few weeks. 

-- April 9, 1974.  General Class License effective.  I become WB2QHL,  a man of substance.  Age 15. 

-- May-June 1974.  I acquire a Heathkit HW-32A 20 meter SSB transceiver from the Crystal Radio Club.  But I have to build the power supply from an old TV.  Somehow, I survive. Age 15. 

-- June 11, 1974.  First contact with the HW-32A.  Age 15.   

-- November 9, 1974.  Last contact with the HW-32A . Age 16. 

-- March 15, 1975.  First contact with my Hallicrafters HT-37. Age 16. 

Above is my only photo of my teenage ham radio station.  I can date it via the QSL card above the map. I still have that card.  I worked W7RUK on March 25, 1975.  That contact was on 20 SSB, but when this picture was taken I was on CW (the key is plugged in, not the microphone).   

-- June 1976   I graduate from High School.  Age 17.  

-- I was active and on the air through the summer of 1976. 

-- July 1976 -- QST article on the Herring Aid 5 receiver.  I try to build it and fail.  Age 17. 

-- October 1976 -- I depart for Army Basic Training. 

There is someone else who needs honorable mention here:  My sister Trish.  Here she is, next to me at the Thanksgiving table in 1973.  Trish helped me keep my ham radio log book.  Thanks Trish! 

Pete Juliano, Field Day, 1959.  With a DX-100B and (gasp!) a QF-1. 

7 comments:

  1. Awesome, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! “WB2QHL, a man of substance.” Exactly the teenage feeling when my General Ticket arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Story, Bill! Yes, tearing up the ham bands!! I believe per FCC we couldn't hold both Novice and Tech licenses when I started (1970). So with the local RACES group on 6 and 2 AM, that meant Tech.
    Later (1976), the FCC change the rules, allowing Novice privleges for Techs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar memories of that magical time...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a few years ahead of you. Got my Novice WN4SBE in August of 1970. I remember it came in the mail on the 50th anniversary of the first commercial radio broadcast. I thought that very auspicious.
    My Novice station consisted of a borrowed Knight Kit T-60, and an SX-99U with a Heath Q-Multiplier. I had a 'horizontal' inverted vee in the attic of my parent's L-shaped ranch house, and used it on 40M and 15M. I used a Dow Key relay for receive/transmit switching. Very fancy, that.
    I remember my fist DX contact was on 15M with LU2DAW (still have his QSL card). I recall he was a railroad telegrapher, which I thought was pretty neat.
    I upgraded to Advanced, WB4SBE, the following spring by passing my 13 WPM code test and having studied only for the General written, the FCC examiner asked me if I wanted to take the Advanced written since it wouldn't cost any more, and somehow I managed to pass.
    I built an HW-101 that summer from lawn mowing money and used it until upgrading to a SB-104 in 1975, which turned out to be a horrible mistake. I got rid of that POS and for the next few years operated only on 2M while in college. We had a club station which I used for the occasional HF contact during that time.
    Left college in 1979 and for a short while had a Drake 4-B line, since some high school friends had them, I was always lusting after those babies.
    I eventually ended up with an IC-735 when they first came out in the early 80's and held on to that until I upgraded to an Elecraft K3 in 2009.
    I had previously upgraded to Extra in 2005, just before they dropped the code speed to 5 WPM. Then I changed my callsign to N8SBE, a vanity call, since I had been living in Ann Arbor since 1982.
    I now have a collection of QRP radios, both kit and commercial, and having upgraded first to a K3S and now K4D for the home QRO station.
    I've been licensed for 53 years, and will retire the end of this year, so I can spend more time hamming and camping with my wife 49 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story & I could identify with most everything u said! For me, Novice in 1973, using Heathkit HR-10B rx, DX-60B tx & HG-10B ext VFO & a dipole, just a bit younger at age 12 (thanks to my Elmer, W4CNW (SK)☹️; General in 1975 (I think, so wasn't Novice for 2 yrs?); Advanced in next yr or two, using a Drake TR4-C, remote VFO & a 3-ele (everything provided, thanks to my understanding, wonderful parents!); boy, what great memories & thanx for posting, 73 de WA4ELW in TN 🇺🇸 dit dit 😃

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking of Holidays and Amateur Radio as a kid....
    When I was even younger I had hoped for "something radio" for a Christmas gift. Well, that didn't happen until my Aunt Amelia who worked at Emeloid gave me a Smith Chart Calculator. That was in 8th grade. How she knew what to get me- I have no idea! It still works just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column