Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Sunday, September 1, 2024

CuriousMarc Visits Cape Canaveral -- Lots of Space History (and some ham gear)


I like all the CuriousMarc videos, but I especially liked this one. Marc and company visited some of the very early launch sites and bunkers at Cape Canaveral.  If you thought Apollo tech was crude, take a look back at what they used in Mercury and Gemini.  Wow.  

I spotted two ham radio receivers.   In the first bunker at 10 minutes 28 seconds we see an old National HRO Sixty with the classic HRO dial, much like the one given to me by Armand WA1UQO. (Thanks again Armand!) Note how they attribute one of the early launch disasaters to two diodes in the power supply that shorted due to launch vibration.  I hate it when that happens.  

In the second bunker we see a Hammarlund HQ-140 at 19 minutes 7 seconds.  This was apparently being used as a Frequency Standard (or maybe a time standard?) perhaps receiving WWV at 10 MHz.  I note that the frequency knob shows it set for the AM broadcast band... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column