Podcasting since August 2005! Listen to our latest podcast here:

Podcasting since August 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Wednesday, August 5, 2026

A Homebrew Workbench from Norway -- Please Comment: What would you have done differently?


I admit to being biased in favor of any project from Norway.  This is the result of the fantastic videos of Helge LA6NCA.   But even without the influence of Helge, this workshop/workbench project would stand out.   It is really good.  It is filled with good ideas.  I like the way he makes use of 3D printed parts.  The lighting scheme is excellent.  I like the chair he got.   There is a lot of humor in this video. 

But you may have done things a bit differently -- please comment on what you would have done. 

Thanks to Frengen Engineering.  Here is the YouTube channel: 

7 comments:

  1. First off, that's a great setup, I absolutely loved the lighting on that overhang. The only other thing I would have liked to see is fume extraction.

    I envy the under-bench drawers to sweep in the components that escaped soldering. Mine are in a plastic tub on the bench, staring me down every time I start a new project. The ghosts of projects past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, fume extraction is important, especially with 3D printers. I would have made the plugs more easily accessible. Having them under the bench seems to invite a lot of bending and climbing into the dark. I have a plug extension strip on the front of my bench, and I use it all the time. 73 Bill N2CQR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just another totally amazing fellow, with tremendous talent, creativity, skill, and energy. However, a workbench should be at least 30 inches deep, and he has shrunk his depth by installing those tall parts cabinets.  He should have used cabinets that were half the height and elevated them, or else put them somewhere else, perhaps even in another room, because most parts are only needed occasionally, and are usually all gathered at once before a project is started.  --Walter KA4KXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought the same thing. And the bench might be a bit too low. He is a tall fellow, that might make it look small. I found out in the DR that there is a standard height for tables and desks: 30 inches. My operating table here in Virginia is 31 inches high. 73 Bill N2CQR

      Delete
  4. Since we moved back I still have most of my tools and supplies but no workshop. Everything is in boxes it drives me nuts. Having a workshop space is a kingdom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where is the dorm refrigerator keeping his Ringnes cold?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like one of Helge's hobbies is 3D printing. For me, it's really just a tool, but one I'm finding invaluable for both Ham and other applications. I'm not given to hyperbole, but it's a kind of superpower. Like Clyde Crashcup (remember him?), you draw something and it becomes a real thing. Admittedly, the learning curve for the CAD software you need (unless you rely on other-people's designs) is a little steep, but it's a basic competency that's otherwise useful.

    I too make extensive use of the LED light tape. I'm finding as I age that I can never get enough light on the thing I'm working on. The tape makes it easy to light spots not easily lit. I use the 5000°K color temperature kind because it's better for photography.

    Aside from the soldering iron, I think the most important powered tool in Helge's shop is the small drill press (a.k.a. "pillar drill"). They're absolutely worth the money ($100 for an adequate one) and the space they take up. Nothing de-wonkifies the fabrication side of Ham radio like a drill press.

    Lastly, I'd really like to have a little backhoe like Helge's. It would come in handy to bury the failed projects that don't even rate the shame shelf.

    ReplyDelete