My posting of this video should clearly demonstrate the I am not a Ludite (one d), and that I am not opposed to technological change. I mean, look, Will has a Pick-and-Place machine. He has 3D printers. He has microscopes. I will likely never have these things in my shacks. But he has them, and uses them, and does a great job of explaining them.
I was also attracted to the video by the 12'x8' size of this shop. This rougly matches the sizes of both my Virginia and my Dominican Republic shacks.
I really liked the way Will built this shack. Many good ideas are in there. I especially liked his choice of flooring, and his ceiling mounting of video camera and microphone.
Like I said, lots of good ideas here. What did you find useful in the video? Please comment below.
This fellow possesses way beyond average
ReplyDeletecapability, intelligence, and energy.
I certainly admire Will and all of you who create these
amazing YouTube videos, because I only did one
(Flying Star Catapult Glider) thirteen years ago when I
first retired and though it was an hour long, scripted, and
edited, it took me a full 40 hours to make.
Judging from his three other videos the purpose of his
workshop is replicating and enhancing what I would call
computer gaming accessory items.
I wonder what kind of occupation he has.
--Walter KA4KXX
The Kwakwa̱ka̱ʼwakw people of the Pacific Northwest coast have a word that actually describes Will's workshop: awi'nakola. It means "having everything right."
ReplyDeleteI enjoy " workshop porn" as much as the next guy, but I'd really love to see one that had an RF focus! :-) --Kirk, NT0Z
ReplyDeleteI hear you Kirk, but this may be easier said than done. Just do a YouTube search for "RF Electronics Workshops" or something like that. There are a few there, but most are about 10 years old. Also, the idea behind my inclusion of more general workshop videos was that we often get good ideas from shops designed to produce or fix things that are not necessarily RF. So we see videos on wooden boat builders, metal workers, stereo fixers, wood carvers etc. And lately we see videos from guys who are more involved in digital PC board design and repair. I find it useful to include these kinds of videos. But hey, if you find some recent RF focused workshop videos, please send them my way and I will consider putting them on the blog. 73 Bill N2CQR
DeleteNice video, neat workshop. Good setup for prototype and limited production. For us Amateur radio homebrewers, we still need space for an operating position, preferably near the test bench. So, yes, just for now, delete the 3-D printer, pick and place and the reflow oven, but be sure you have a good solder station/ hot air reflow gun. And a optical or USB microscope.
ReplyDeleteI agree Mike. For that reason, in both my shacks, I have one bench dedicated to building and repair, and another bench more focused on operating. There is, of course, often a lot of overlap, but the division serves as a reminder of the benefits of using the gear that we build or fix. 73 Bill N2CQR
DeleteIt's great to have the Operating bench next to (or better, at 90 degrees to) the Build /Test bench. Normally, I will keep an ear open on the bands while assembling something on the build bench, to answer someone's CQ's. If need be, I run test cables from oscilloscope or spectrum analyzer over to the op bench and do quick measurements. A repurposed gaming swivel chair finds a better use! Ahhhhh, Life is Good!
DeleteHe is the next (current!) generation of tinkerers with the knack. Very well organized, set to work with the components and knowledge available now.
ReplyDeleteHis work area is very neat and well organised , a nice change from many who's works areas are often in disarray... His area (size) wouldn't work for me though , my parts storage cupboards alone would consume more than his whole work room.
ReplyDelete