Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Monday, April 5, 2010

How much AF amplification needed between diode ring and a sound card?

Progress continues on my WSPR direct conversion receiver. The Colpitts oscillator is working nicely and is very stable. Yesterday I glued an SBL-3 diode ring to the board and hooked it up. With my 'scope and sig generator I can see it turning 30 meter RF into audio. So far so good.

Now it is time to build the AF amp. Here's my question: How many db do I need? The standard 100 db DC RX AF Amp seems like a bit of overkill -- this thing won't drive a speaker or a headphone, but instead, a computer soundcard. What do you guys think? How many db?

1 comment:

  1. Bill,

    From what I have seen, 40-50 dB of gain will do the trick. You might want to go for 50 dB since you are using a diode ring. A NE5532 with two 25 dB gain stages would do nicely. And if you find that you need a bit more oomph, you can always just change some resistors to get more gain.

    73,
    Jason NT7S

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column