Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Mike WU2D Looks at the "Dream" SW Receivers of the 1960s and 70s (Video)


Wow, I really liked Mike's walk down memory lane. I saw several of my own dream receivers: 

S-38E.  Indeed, this little monster did add some danger to your life.  AKA "The Widow Maker," I gave one to my cousin's husband so he could listen to what the commies on Radio Moscow were saying.  He later told me that the receiver had given him a shock.  I now have TWO S-38Es in my shack (two more than I really need).  I have installed isolation transformers in both of them, so they have lost the one element (danger!) that made them attractive.  

HA-600A. I got this one for Christmas in 1972.  The A model is MUCH better than the plain vanilla HA-600.  I recently got another HA-600A and found serious deficiencies in the Product Detector.  Has anyone else noticed these problems?  BACKGROUND INFO AND A PLEA FOR MORE INFO HERE: https://soldersmoke.blogspot.com/search?q=HA-600A+Product+Detector

HQ-100.  Got one in the Dominican Republic.  Fixed it up, repairing damages caused by radio life in the tropics.  Disabled the goofy audio amplifier circuitry.  I now wonder if this receiver might benefit from the insertion of a 455 kc ceramic filter. 

NC190.  Wow "Cosmic Blue"  Perhaps this was an early influence that led to "Juliano Blue?" 

HQ-180.  "18 tubes and almost as many knobs!"  FB!  

HRO-500.  Love the dial. 

Transoceanic.  Never had one, but built a BFO for the Transoceanic that W8NSA took with him to SE Asia during the war. 

R-390A.  I don't have a crane for the workbench.  

Thanks Mike -- that was a lot of fun.  

2 comments:

  1. What, nobody built a Heathkit AR-3 or an HR-1680 like I am still using????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have working c1956 Transoceanic. It's a beast!

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column