Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Thursday, March 17, 2022

Colin M1BUU's Homebrew Manhattan SST

 

Wow, especially on St. Patrick's day I think it is appropriate to say " 'tis a thing of beauty. "

Colin did a great job on his homebrew version of the SST transceiver. It looks like his is on 30 meters.   I especially liked his description of the troubleshooting that followed the construction.  the assist provided by AA7EE's blog was especially cool, and demonstrates the long-lasting power of internet-shared tribal knowledge. 

Colin wrote (on Facebook):  

I was inspired by Bill and his adventure with the SST-20, so I started gathering a few parts last year to build a Manhattan SST. I did a joint SOTA activation with a fellow homebrewer ham at the end of January and we started talking about classic portable CW rigs, it turned out that we both had an SST build on our 'list'. I was challenged to build the SST for the next joint SOTA activation!
It took a lot of effort and a few late nights but I did manage to produce a rig capable of making QSOs for a joint SOTA activation of Fair Snape Fell, G/SP-007. I'd done a solo activation of Pendle Hill G/SP-005 a few days before with the rig for a trial run and I discovered that the AF was very low. After some troubleshooting I noticed that I'd soldered the LM386 gain set capacitor to an incorrect pad. Doh! I fixed my error and the rig had much more gain.
I found that with the improved AF gain, the rig would squeal if the gain was turned up. I was ready to give up really, but after a cool off period, I began researching the issue and it turns out that it's very common and indeed I found posts from 1997 about it! It seems as though my recreation was so faithful to the original, I'd included the original flaws too! I added in a 0.1uF cap and resistor connected to pin 5 of the AF amp chip as per the suggestion on Dave AA7EE's blog and now the squealing has stopped.
I'd made 14 QSOs during the joint SOTA activation, so I considered my challenge to have been met! It's been a bit of an epic build!
73, Colin, M1BUU


2 comments:

  1. Very nice well done to you.
    DE HS0ZLQ, G0MIH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's very good. Well done.
    I'm having to put all my stuff into boxes so I can't make anything at the moment but after I have settled in.
    I'm going to start building stuff again.

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column