Steve KW4H writes:
The passband tuner realigning went just fine. To do this, I remove the audio output transformer and push it aside, insulating it from from the components on the chassis underside using a snack-size baggie. Then, it's necessary to clip the frame of the audio transformer to ground so audio works. I won't go into the nitty-gritty technical steps, but am just pointing out that in order to align that passband tuner you've got to get that transformer out of the way. In the 4-line, Drake solved this inconvenience by putting the passband tuner above the chassis, with all of the alignments easily accessible.
The 2-B is receiving, but not totally realigned yet. But before we do that, I'm installing a custom-built calibrator/marker generator that will plug right in to the calibrator socket on top of the chassis. This calibrator provides selectable 25/50/100 kHz spacing (I'll preset it for 50 kHz). A note for you: it's operated by the "CAL" switch on the front panel, and is rewired to run on that 9V battery I've installed on the bottom of the chassis (see photo). The calibrator consumes almost no power when switched on and the battery should last a very long time. But now you know where the power source is for the calibrator. I've also attached a photo of the calibrator so you know what it looks like -- for the 2-B, the screw terminal isn't installed on the circuit board -- instead, I wire it directly to a Drake-style 4-prong plug that fit right into that calibrator socket above the chassis.
The signal from the calibrator will be used for some of the alignment steps, so I like to install it at this phase.


No comments:
Post a Comment