I was telling Steve KW4H and Scott K6AUS about my Drake 2-B (Serial #11976):
I got mine when I was still a novice on April 11, 1974. I still have it and use it. It had been spared the Magic Screwdriver, because the previous owner was my Elmer, Hilmar WN2NEC. Hilmar was a no-nonsense German immigrant, a tech who knew which end of the soldering iron to grab.
The only real mod that it had was the installation of a Jackson Brothers reduction drive. This slowed the tuning a lot, and I lost the calibrated dial skirt, but I think it was worthwhile. I have tuned "normal" 2-Bs and they seem a bit fast to me. By the way, I think you can tell a true 2-B restorer if he has replaced the string on the tuning mechanism of the 2-B, and he has done it often enough to get good at it! I am sure Steve is in this category! (Can you imagine a modern rig that actually has a STRING in it? I can't. I think those tuning dial strings capture a lot of the charm of these older receivers.)
When Hilmar sold me the receiver, it had a really cool big knob on the front. But he had specified that I had to give that knob back to him -- he had borrowed it from a device at work! Of course, as a teenager, I dallied. "I really need that knob," complained poor Hilmar. I found a replacement and gave the knob back to him.
Years later I think I replaced the power supply capacitors with a replacement from Hayseed Hamfest.
My 2-B opened up a world of DX for me. Only two days after I got it, I worked ZL2ACP on 15 CW. And of course on that same day, I worked KP4USA on 15 meter CW. The operator was Steve, who is today KW4H. With my earlier general coverage receiver, I could barely hear 15 meters. With the 2-B it was easy to tune.
I have more than 70 Drake 2-B articles on the SolderSmoke blog. Check them out:
''My 2-B opened up a world of DX for me. ''
ReplyDeleteUsing and achieving good DX with a radio that many Hams today would consider to be archaic and out of date just adds to the sweetness of the success.
When people get a good contact on their all fancy , modern wonder rig , I am like --- 'Mehhh , so you should.'