This one may seem a bit far off our normal path, but I think this fellow has a lot of philosphy that applies to ham radio homebrewing. His story of the art teacher who advised his students to get up each morning and do something that you love to do is good advice.
What other advice and philosophy did you hear in this beautiful video?
Yes, a very fine video, and this fellow
ReplyDeleteis really an artist, but he has settled halfway for
only that. If he would finish the hull of that
boat, install some radio control equipment
in it, and sail it in a local pond then he would enjoy
more thrills and excitement, especially while drawing
admiration from any passers by!
Similarly, although many homebrewers are satisfied
with building radios and only using them once or twice
in private, to me operating my creations often, especially
portable in a park among the public, adds significantly
to the experience.
--Walter KA4KXX
I agree with you Walter. We should put these creations to use. There is a social aspect to ham radio, and it is shame that many of us ignore this and only spend time building at the workbench. The temptation to do this is real, but I think it is best to fight the temptation and put these rigs on the air. 73 Bill N2CQR
ReplyDeleteReally good point! I don't get in as many QSO's as I should, although I will drop whatever I am doing and answer any CQ on whatever band I have on at the time. Usually that's 30 or 20 CW
ReplyDeleteI don't know if there are any homebrewer nets, whether CW or SSB.
How about a SolderSmoke Net, Bill?? 73 de WN2A
Mike: There are so few of us. There are more on CW and AM, but very few on SSB. It would be a very lonely net! 73 Bill N2CQR
DeleteGood Point. There are homebrewers on 75 AM, partially the boat-anchors and others running HB MOSFET PA's on AM. On CW , I have occasionally bumped into others with HB rigs,
DeleteHey Mike WN2A: Anytime you want to schedule a QSO on 20M just let me know, either CW or SSB. Currently propagation at about 7 PM EST might work. --Walter KA4KXX
Delete