Podcasting since August 2005! Listen to our latest podcast here:

Podcasting since August 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Inside the NUVISTOR! Making a 555 Timer with Nuvistors!


This video is very cool.  When I saw them crack open a NUVISTOR, I should have known that this was Eric from CuriousMarc.  And it is!  

Here is the YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@TubeTimeUS

And here is my video about the NUVISTORS in my 2 meter receive convertor: 

Thanks Eric! 

1 comment:

  1. When I just got my ticket in 1970, I knew a bunch of amateurs in our local CD group. One of them named Don worked at RCA and was a developer of the Nuvistor. He told me it was "Two Years, Too Late" when it was introduced. RCA had put a lot of R&D into hollow-state, and its earliest efforts in solid-state didn't see quite the same emphasis until later. By then, the other guys were making progress, especially with the planar process. RCA did make huge contributions with "COSMOS" (CMOS), the LCD , linear IC's and the RF Overlay transistor.
    At Don's ham shack, he had demonstrated his E. F. Johnson Desk KW to the group, a real beauty. When he heard that I wanted to go to an engineering college, he turned around to me and said, "Mike-not engineering--anything but engineering, Mike!!" Guess I didn't listen.

    ReplyDelete