Podcasting since August 2005! Listen to our latest podcast here:

Podcasting since August 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Thursday, September 17, 2026

Grayson Evans' Modest Proposal: NO MORE VALVES! NO MORE TUBES! THERMATRONS FOREVER! (and a great video)


First, a big THANK YOU to Grayson KJ7UM and to Zeynep, his wife and video editor.  The above video is a really excellent look at not only the technical charecteristcs of thermatrons, but also as the history of their development.  There is a lot to be learned in this wonderful video. I am glad that no one was shocked in its production. And I am glad that SolderSmoke is no longer the only podcast/videocast using a "shamless commerce" segment! 

Grayson's video and his "modest proposal" are eerily timely for me.  Just yesterday I dragged out my old thermatron 80/40 receiver and got it inhaling.  It uses 6U8s and 6EA8s which were featured in this video.  This morning I used this old thermatron receiver to listen to Tim WA1HLR, who has been using thermatrons for many years. 

I have also been talking about Compactrons, specifically the 6T9 on the podcast,  This prompted Jeff Tucker, W9TH to send me the PC board for the simple 6T9 circuit that I should have built as a teenager.  I also got words of encouragement from Mike WA6ARA.  The pressure is building!  

Finally, this gets us to Grayson's "Modest Proposal."  See:  https://kj7um.wordpress.com/2026/09/16/a-modest-proposal/    He proposes that we STOP calling these devices "tubes" or "valves" and instead refer to them as thermatrons.  I am with him on this.  But I warned him that his proposal (even with modesty) would provoke HOWLS of protest from the many, many change-averse radio amateurs in the US and, especially in the UK.  I know from personal, lived experience (four years in London) that the Brits love their valves.  But, hey, Grayson is right!  So I will pledge -- whenever possible -- to use his preferred term.  Gentleman, don your Kevlar now!  

Thanks Grayson for the video, and for the modest proposal!  

Get the Third Edition of Grayson's excellent book "Hollow State Design"  here: https://www.hollow-statedesigns.com/books

No comments:

Post a Comment